Saturday, October 24, 2009

Squatching

Just an update from our little night adventure last night...

We arrived at the area around 9 p.m. It had been raining off and on all day and had continued into the evening.

The hardest part about squatching in the rain is that the rain on the leaves and on the forest floor creates a lot of noise, parabolic mics and audio recorders are pretty much useless.

We proceeded to cook bacon and kielbasa on the grill. Got a nice smoky aroma sent out into the woods.

Usually by now the raccoons are creeping around the treeline, but not so much tonight. I had thrown crab legs (my leftovers from dinner) into the woods just past the treeline.

I suggested that bob and Jerry head up for a night hike while I sit at the pavilion listening.

About a minute after they headed into the woods, the skies let loose with a torrential downpour!
I screamed "I'm Sorry!" into the woods. About a minute later I see the 2 beams from their flashlights approaching at a rapid pace. I couldn't help but laugh!

We sat out for about 3.5 hours. We didn't see or hear anything. I thought I heard a distant howl, but with the rain and wind, it could have been an owl or a dog.

As always, it was good to sit out in the woods in the hopes of seeing our resident squatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment