Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ohio Bigfoot Conference Recap

East Meets West

First of all, I'd like to thank Don Keating for organizing this annual event. Many people may not like Don, but he gets the job done.

So many people came from all over the United States, most of them come to this event every year, but so many more new attendees came just for the chance to meet the legend, Bob Gimlin. Thank you to Joyce Kearney for making this possible. She didn't care to be acknowledged for her "donation" to the conference, but I wanted to do it anyway.

On Thursday I drove down to Columbus to pick up our guests from Texas, Craig Woolheater and Jerry Hestand of the TBRC. Jerry was very excited as this was his first trip to Salt Fork State Park.

We got to the lodge, unpacked, and headed into Cambridge to dine at Theo's restaurant. I highly recommend this establishment and you must try the onion rings!

After dinner, Jerry wanted to do a little night squatching so I took him out to a few areas, the weather was beautiful. Nothing eventful happened and we headed back to the lodge around 1:30 a.m.

Friday morning, we all met for breakfast in the lodge and were joined by Dr. Jeff Meldrum. Bruce Harrington was just finishing his steak and eggs.
:)

I then had to head back to the Columbus airport to pick up Monica Rawlins of the TBRC. We headed back to the lodge, got her settled in, then headed out to our senior citizens dinner (it was only 3pm) at Theo's with Marc Dewirth of the Ohio Bigfoot Researchers, Mike Esordi and Diana Smith of The Believe It Tour and 2 other gentlemen whose name I did not catch.

We hurried back to the lodge to get ready for the Meet and Greet.

This year, Don changed the format a little and the people were not as receptive. We went downstairs for the Meet and Greet and everyone was sitting in a conference room listening to Don speaking. Hey! We don't want to hear this! We want to Meet and Greet! Finally, Don released the hostages (just kidding) and the party started.

Mark and Kelly Lydic were there. Bob Durdella. My new Kentucky friends, Rex and his friend, James "Sparky" Sparks. Melissa Hovey, Wayne Larsen, Bruce Harrington, Eric Altman, Sean Forker and many more.

I was standing in the lobby when I saw who I thought was Diane Stocking coming towards me. I got a great big smile on my face and said "Hey" and she said..."No, I know what you're thinking..." then I realized it was her twin sister Donna from Florida. We laughed and chatted for a bit.

Of course Bob Gimlin and Tom Yamarone were there and they were introduced and greeted by people all night long.


At one point I was standing in a group of people and I turned around and there was Esteban Sarmiento standing behind me! That was such a surprise! We hugged and I promised him I would not give him a hard time at this conference. We had such a great time at the Texas Conference back in September.

As the evening progressed, a huge bonfire was prepared for the musical stylings of Tom Yamarone. Marshmallows were roasted, songs were sung and a great time was had by all.

To be continued indeedy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update...hopefully, I'll get there next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we get information for next year, in advance? Thanks!;-)

    ReplyDelete